Monday, November 12, 2012

Let Us Give Thanks

Okay, so it's been a month since I have written a new post. I had really promised myself that I was gonna try to post twice a month but that just hasn't happened.

Life has been good as a whole. I'm still working at my healthy lifestyle and that is just what it is... a working progress. This past month I stayed on track but didn't do as well as I have been the two months before that. I still made conscience choices when the food was not as healthy as it should be but I'm learning that when I do want to have something that is not so health friendly, not to over indulge and it wont be so damaging. I hit my goal of of thirty pounds. On October 22nd I got on the scale and I was actually down thirty three pounds. In the two weeks since then I'm back and forth between thirty five and thirty seven pounds. The end of October was tough because I needed a paycheck so bad. I was skimming the cupboards  to get by as best as I could.  Here are a few progress pics that I have taken along the way.








I guess the most rewarding part of this process so far, for me, is fitting into smaller clothes. I had gotten so big that it did not matter how cute the clothes were, they were not making me feel cute! Every thing was tight and I hated even getting ready in the mornings because I felt so miserable. I'm sure people get tired of looking at progress pictures but they are very motivational for me. When we look at ourselves every day, we don't realize that we are getting smaller. If you take a photo journal and look back, it helps tremendously. This is the start of week fourteen and I have had to make commitments several times. I want change, so I am seeking change. It's just that simple!

It's easy to get burnt out on foods. I have to switch it up and try new things. Below are some chicken pouches I made and some turkey burgers.

Just take your chicken breast and put in on the foil and season to taste.
Smother with what ever veggies you like. I used peppers, onions, corn, and small cubes of red potato.
Wrap the foil up and put in the oven for an hour and a half on 350 degrees.
(I also put shrimp in two of the packets with the chicken)

These are just turkey burgers cooked with bell pepper on them.


 When I cook, I try to make something that can be more than just one meal. Like the chicken pouches made four meals. The turkey burgers made three meals. It seems like a lot when I'm cooking it but I have it on hand and ready to go with me and I don't have to cook most of the week. If you fail to plan, you plan to fail!

Here are a few recipes I have ran across. I have tried some of them and some of them I have not but I'm dying to!

Clean Eating Spinach Dip
(Makes approximately 6 cups)
Ingredients
1 (16 oz.) container low-fat cottage cheese
10 oz. container frozen spinach, thawed
8 oz. can water chestnuts, chopped fine
2 tbsp. onion powder
1 tsp. dried parsley
2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. salt
Directions
Step 1 – Using a blender, blend the cottage cheese until it is smooth and creamy.
Step 2 – Put the cottage cheese in a large mixing bowl, and add all other ingredients. Stir well.
Eat and Enjoy!

Nutritional Content
1 serving = 1/2 cup
Calories: 64
Total Fat: 1 gm
Saturated Fats: 1 gm
Trans Fats: 0 gm
Cholesterol: 3 mg
Sodium: 151 mg
Carbohydrates: 7 gm
Dietary fiber: 1 gm
Sugars: 1 gm
Protein: 6 gm
Estimated Glycemic Load: 4
_________________________

Clean Eating Tuna Salad
(Makes approximately 8 servings)
Ingredients
3 cans water-packed tuna
1/2 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
2 tsp. lemon juice
1 carrot – grated
1/2 tsp. dried dill
1 tsp. dried parsley
1 small tomato
1/4 tsp. dijon mustard
1/2 a small white onion
1 hard boiled egg
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. honey (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
Directions
Step 1 – Mix all ingredients together in a large mixing bowl and serve!

Nutritional Content
1 serving = approximately 1/2 cup
Calories: 97
Total Fat: 1 gm
Saturated Fats: 0 gm
Trans Fats: 0 gm
Cholesterol: 45 mg
Sodium: 227 mg (based on 1/4 tsp. sea salt)
Carbohydrates: 2 gm
Dietary fiber: 0 gm
Sugars: 1 gm
Protein: 18 gm
Estimated Glycemic Load: 1
__________________________

Clean Eating Ranch Dressing
(Makes approximately 8 tbsp.)
5 tbsp. low-fat buttermilk
3 tbsp. non-fat plain Greek yogurt
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. dried dill
1/2 ts. dried parsley
1/2 tsp. dried chives
1/2 tsp. salt
Pepper to taste
Directions
Step 1 – Using a whisk, mix all ingredients together in a bowl until smooth and evenly blended.


Nutritional Content
1 serving = 2 tbsp.
Calories: 10
Total Fat: 2 gm
Saturated Fats: 0 gm
Trans Fats: 0 gm
Cholesterol: 0 gm
Sodium: 55 mg
Carbohydrates: 1 gm
Dietary fiber: 0 gm
Sugars: 1 gm
Protein: 1 gm
__________________________

Clean Eating Blueberry Mango Salsa
(Makes approximately 2 cups)
Ingredients
1 cup chopped blueberries
1 cup chopped mango
1 tsp. grated ginger (grated with a microplane)
1/4 tsp. black pepper
Pinch sea salt
Directions
Step 1 – Chop all ingredients to the consistency you like.
Step 2 – Mix in a medium mixing bowl.
Step 3 – Chill and serve with organic corn chips.
Eat and Enjoy!

Nutritional Content
1 serving = 1/2 cup
Calories: 49
Total Fat: 0 gm
Saturated Fats: 0 gm
Trans Fats: 0 gm
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 1 mg
Carbohydrates: 13 gm
Dietary fiber: 2 gm
Sugars: 10 gm
Protein: 1 gm
Estimated Glycemic Load: 4
_________________________

Clean Eating Chicken Salad
Ingredients
6-7 Chicken breasts, baked
1 cup Clean Eating Ranch Dressing
1 red onion, chopped
Avocado (optional)
Directions
Step 1 – Shred your chicken breasts.
Step 2 – Add chicken, onions and ranch to a large mixing bowl and mix well.
Step 3 – If you are so inclined, top with avocado.
Eat and Enjoy!

Nutritional Content
1 serving = 1 cup
Calories: 94
Total Fat: 1 gm
Saturated Fats: 0 gm
Trans Fats: 0 gm
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 15 mg
Carbohydrates: 24 gm
Dietary fiber: 3 gm
Sugars: 12 gm
Protein: 1 gm
Estimated Glycemic Load: 8
__________________________

Clean Eating Sweet Potato Casserole
(Makes 8 small servings)
Topping Ingredients
1 cup pecan pieces
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 tbsp. safflower oil
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
Filling Ingredients
3 lbs sweet potatoes
1/2 cup clean orange juice
1-1/2 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 tbsp. honey
TOPPING DIRECTIONS
Step 1 – In a large mixing bowl, combine all topping ingredients together using a wooden spoon. It will be clumpy and sticky.
Step 2 – Spread out mixture the best you can on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
Step 3 – Bake at 350 degrees F. for approximately 10-15 minutes. The mixture should have a nice golden color to it.
Step 4 – Remove from oven and allow to cool.
Step 5 – Transfer small portions to a large cutting board and chop roughly. Set aside.
CASSEROLE DIRECTIONS
Step 1 – Wash the sweet potatoes and rub with oil. Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake until easily pierced with a fork (about 30-40 minutes).
Step 2 – Remove from oven and allow to cool until you can handle them without burning yourself.
Step 3 – Peel the potatoes and place the inside in a large mixing bowl.
Step 4 – Add all other filling ingredients and mash with a potato masher or blend with a hand blender.
Step 5 – Transfer the potato mixture to a serving bowl. Sprinkle the pecan topping evenly over the potatoes.
Step 6 – Serve.
Note: you will most likely have some topping left over depending on the size of the dish you use. The leftovers are great for topping oatmeal or mixing in with granola.
Eat and Enjoy!

Filling Nutritional Content
1 serving = 1/8 of the recipe (does not include topping)
Calories: 162
Total Fat: 0 gm
Saturated Fats: 0 gm
Trans Fats: 0 gm
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 93 mg
Carbohydrates: 38 gm
Dietary fiber: 5 gm
Sugars: 11 gm
Protein: 3 gm
Estimated Glycemic Load: 16

Topping Nutritional Content
1 serving = 1/8 of the recipe (does not include filling)
Calories: 154
Total Fat: 12 gm
Saturated Fats: 1 gm
Trans Fats: 0 gm
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 1 mg
Carbohydrates: 13 gm
Dietary fiber: 2 gm
Sugars: 9 gm
Protein: 2 gm
Estimated Glycemic Load: 7
___________________________

All these recipes are listed on www.thegraciouspantry.com. I have found this website to be very helpful with not only recipes but understanding clean eating as a whole. The author of this website/blog is great! Go read her story! If you are interested in incorporating some clean eating into your life style you should definitely check out her website. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!

I am still working on the goal of Couch to 5K! I finished week one and on the last day I suffered a horrible knee injury. For two weeks I was in a lot of pain and very frustrated. The whole week I was sore but it was different on that last day. I really hurt myself.  Learning and understanding running as a much larger person is key to my success as a runner. I will not give up and this week my traning continues. I'm hoping to be a part of this 5K in New Orleans with several of the teachers at SJH!


In other news, the Whites were here this past week and through the weekend. As always, it was so good to have them home. If you missed the memo... JAMIE LEE IS PREGNANT!! We are all so excited! We spent the days that they were here hanging out and just playing with the girls. Saturday we had a wedding in our family. My cousin Glen tied the knot with Debbie! It was a beautiful wedding! It was out side and candlelit, so romantic!! Here are a few shots from the wedding!



Olyvia was one of the flowers girls.
She was so pretty.

Love this picture!

My little beauty!

Love this picture too!

Pawpaw and the "White" girls

Sister and I


The best men in my life!

Handsome brother of mine!

I so enjoyed the wedding and getting to see everyone! I am so happy for Glen and Debbie.The both looked great and both looked so happy!!


Yesterday Brooklynn and I put up our Christmas tree. We had so much fun. We had the Christmas music playing and I was loving every second of it. This is my favorite time of the year and it is going by way to fast. Next week we are off from school all week and it's Thanksgiving! I am looking forward to so time off and lots of time with Brooklynn Rose. I hope you are all finding the joy in this season and taking in every second of it! This month should remind all of us  how blessed we are and to always give thanks. Happy Thanksgiving from our house to yours!









No comments:

Post a Comment