Wednesday, August 17, 2011

She's a BIG girl now!


Well I have put off long enough blogging about Brooklynn's first day of "big school". Truth is, I was so worked up over NOTHING! Brooklynn did so great and I was so proud of her. The whole week before sending her to big school, all day it would lurk in the back of mind about my baby going off to big school. I was worried about things that would never happen in a million years. Why would I ever think that my bubbly full of life little girl would struggle to make friends or fit in? She is the most caring and nurturing child and of course her class mates would be drawn to that.

Brooklynn was so anxious and excited about her first day at school that she woke up at 5:00 Monday morning. We did some household chores and cooked breakfast but the whole time she was ready to get to school. The whole time I was getting her ready all I could think about is if she would cry or not. We had visited her school and her teachers just a few days before this an she LOVED it so I was undecided on how she would handle it. I had this great fear that I would have to leave her in a puddle full of tears. Well we got there and went into her class room to drop some things off and her teacher had not arrived yet. I usually drop her off between 7:00 and 7:15 and her teacher does not arrive till  close to 8. This rattled her a little bit that she did not see the familiar person she was expecting to see. The morning ladies convinced her to come on in the "TV room" and watch a movie till her teacher got there. She still was not crying at this point. She asked where Ms. Cindy was (that's her teacher) and we told her she would be there shortly. I told her I had to get to work and then then the tears began to fall. Oh no! My fear was coming true and my heart was breaking. I gave her a big hug and a quick kiss and could feel my own tears building up. I walked out the door and could hear my baby crying her scared cry. I knew she would be okay but I also knew she was scared and that was killing me. I ran into Jess and Lillie in the parking lot (these are friends from Tiny's who are also now going to Highland) and when Jess walked in with Lillie which was moments later I listened as she went inside to see if I could hear Brooklynn crying any more and to my surprise she was not. I took a deep breath and felt better knowing at least she was not crying. I got in my car and lost it. I had kept it together as long as I could and finally the tears came. Everyone always told me to enjoy every second of Brooklynn being little because they grow up so fast and how true that has turned out to be. It hit me that I was dropping off my baby for preschool and she was officially a little girl. Three and half years have passed so fast and I was consumed with emotion. Her first day went great and she LOVES school. She got a little sad on the second day but there were no tears and this morning when I walked her in she wouldn't even hold my hand. I would say she has adjusted just fine. She never ceases to amaze me. Her sweet and warm spirit comfort me so much. Her strength and confidence inspire me. To watch her little brain grow and learn and to hear her adventures from school assure me that she is right where she needs to be. Preschool was a big step for her but probably an even bigger step for Momma.

First day at Highland Learning Center
She looked so pretty


No comments:

Post a Comment